Student Support

A range of support to suit your needs

Student Support

City College is fully committed to ensuring that all students achieve their full potential. We provide excellent resources, advanced technology, dedicated staff and a range of services to help support you throughout your studies.

For an overview of our student support services, take a look at our Student Support Booklet

Learning Support

Whilst at City College, you may need extra support to assist your learning needs. Our dedicated team of Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) have a wealth of experience in supporting students with learning difficulties and disabilities. They use positive and engaging strategies to overcome barriers to learning. 

We may be able to offer:

  • Support for students with Education Health Care Plans (EHCP)
  • Dyslexia screening
  • A Learning Support Assistant (LSA) in your class
  • One to one sessions outside timetabled hours to help you catch up on assignments or projects, or to help address your specific learning needs
  • Extra support with coursework (available in our Success Centre)
  • Use of assistive technology - a wide range of equipment to assist your specific needs is available, such as speech to text and text to speech software, iPads and dictaphones
  • Communication Support Worker for hearing impaired students
  • Special exam arrangements for those that need them

For more information, or to discuss any learning support needs, please email 

Personal Support

We want to ensure that all our students are successful and happy. There is nothing more important than enjoying your studies and feeling supported during any stressful times. From time to time we all need extra help and we recognise students may need someone to talk to.

Our Student Advisers can offer support with personal issues relating to finance, housing, health or anything else that may impact on your safety, wellbeing and your ability to attend college.

We are also able to provide strategies based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to help with common mental health problems, such as low mood and anxiety.

For more information email

Learning Resource Centre

Our Learning Resource Centre can provide you with a wealth of learning resources (printed and electronic) to help you with your studies, printing and scanning facilities, computer access, laptop and iPads, free Wi-Fi and quiet study zones.

Our friendly and helpful Learning Centre staff are on-hand to help you with your research and resource needs. They offer a range of workshops and 1-2-1 tuition to help you with your studies, on subjects such as research and digital skills, online resources and referencing. 1-2-1 reading support is also available.

We also offer a range of books and graphic novels for relaxation and enjoyment.

The Success Centre

Located in our Learning Resource Centre, our Success Centre is a dedicated space where you can come and talk to one of the team about any support needs you may have and access our wide range of resources. You can also meet one of our Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) here to receive support with completing assignments and preparing for exams.


Counselling is an opportunity for you to talk about and explore things that might be worrying you.

The counselling service we offer at City College is completely free and confidential and you can use the service without telling anyone. It is useful to tell your Tutor if you are going to miss a tutorial.

If you would like to get support you can ask your Tutor or a Student Adviser to call the counselling service or you can make contact yourself.


Your safety and well-being are important to us.

If you experience bullying, violence or abuse of any kind, or if you are worried about someone else, please don't keep quiet.  
We can help!

We have a dedicated Safeguarding team who can be contacted confidentially by mobile or email.

Safeguarding & Prevent Policy

Local Offer

Children and Families legislation requires us to publish information on our contribution to the ‘local offer’. This information is designed to inform parents, carers and young people regarding special educational provision in their area.

Click here for our Local Offer

Careers Guidance

For information on the Careers Support and Guidance we provide, please click here.

Financial Support

The cost of Further and Higher Education can add up quickly, but we can help you talk through your options. No matter what you're studying, we are here to help you explore bursaries and loans to help you find out what you're entitled to.

We offer confidential and free advice on fees, bursaries, and emergency funding. Depending on the circumstances, we can help you gain access to a range of financial assistance options.

Bursary scheme

The City College Bursary Scheme provides financial assistance to students to help them overcome financial barriers to participate in college.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund provides financial help for young people aged 16-19 who face barriers to staying in education. It is available to all 16-19 year olds studying in school/academy sixth forms, colleges and training providers in England. There are two types of bursary available:

  • Bursaries for defined vulnerable groups of up to £1200 per year.
  • Discretionary bursaries based on individual needs

The College also has a fund for students aged 19+ to enable them to overcome specific financial barriers.  Depending on personal circumstances, support can be given to help in a number of ways to meet education needs.

Both 16-19 and 19+ schemes award financial support for students include the following:

  • Travel costs (e.g. bus, train, or ferry)
  • Meal costs
  • Childcare costs while you are at college (16-19 through the Care to Learn Scheme, 20+ through the College fund)

We can also help fund/partially fund:

  • Course materials, equipment and uniform
  • UCAS fees
  • Essential books related to your course
  • Educational College trips

To apply, please download and complete the relevant form below.

Download 16-18 Financial Support Application

Download 19+ Financial Support Application 

Contact Us

Advanced Learning Loan

Advanced Learning Loan

If you're aged 19 or over and want to study Access to Higher Education or a Level 3 or above Vocational Qualification, you'll need to pay for the cost of your course. To help finance the course you may qualify for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan.

It’s easy to apply for. Household income isn’t taken into account and there’s no credit check. Importantly, you won’t have to pay anything back until you're earning over £25,725 a year.

When can I apply?
You can apply for courses starting between 1 August 2019 and 31 July 2020.  

How to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan
Step 1 - Identify whether your chosen course is eligible for a 19+ Loan shown in the dates, times and fees section

Step 2 - Once an offer of a place on the course is made, you will be invited to enrol and obtain a Learning and Funding Information letter and a 19+ Loan information pack from the college

Step 3 - Use the Learning and Funding Information letter to apply for your loan and to track your application click here

Step 4 - Upon successful confirmation of your loan from the Student Loans Company you can start your course

Advanced Learner Loan Guide


Career Development Loan

These are bank loans available to students aged over 18 with low interest rates that help you with your career or help you get back into work. The repayments are deferred until you have completed your period of study or training. For more information click here

Higher Education Loans

You may be able to borrow money to help pay for your college tuition fees and to help with living costs. You might also be able to get extra money on top of this if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children for example.

The Student Loans Company can provide students studying their first Degree or other Higher Education course loans and grants to help finance the course fees.  The fees will automatically be paid by the Student Loans Company directly to the College.

You can apply for student loans and other student finance in the spring before the start of your course. Don’t wait until you get an offer or receive your exam results – apply as soon as you can!

You usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first Higher Education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded. You may still be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances. You will need to contact the loan company to check your eligibility.

Tuition Fee Loan & Maintenance Loan for Living Costs

To assist you with your tuition fees you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan (non-income assessed) and a Maintenance Loan for your accommodation and living costs whilst you are studying.

There are no up-front tuition fees with a student loan and you will only start to repay the loan after you leave the course and start working. The amount you pay is dependent on your salary, not the size of your loan and will be deducted from your salary by your employer in the same way they deduct tax.

For more information on either of these loans click here.

Students with special educational needs

As part of The Children and Families Bill 2014 there have been changes to the way parents, carers and young people can access information. The aim is to provide better outcomes for children and young people with additional needs and disabilities and to improve the experience of parents/carers when securing support for their children. Each local authority (Southampton City Council for our local area) has a duty to provide information on what services education providers offer in their area via their website.

City College support students with special educational needs. For more information call 023 8048 4848.

Childcare Costs

Young parents under the age of 20 at the start of their course may be able to claim help with childcare costs under the Care to Learn scheme. You can apply for a Childcare Grant if you’re in full-time higher education to pay for childcare costs for children under 15 or under 17 if they have special needs.

Click here for more information.

Travel and transport

City College students are able to purchase discounted bus tickets at student rates from First and Bluestar buses. If you are eligible for the City College Bursary scheme your bus travel may be FREE.

Fees Information

Depending on your circumstances and/or which course you wish to take, there may be a fee to pay for your course. If you do have to pay your own fees there are a number of ways you can find help with making this payment. This could be loan or we can help spread the payments out with an interest free payment plan. For information on course fees, contact our advice and guidance team.

FE Fees Policy

HE Fee, Refund & Compensation Policy

Do I need to pay course fees?

Regardless of your age, you don't need to pay tuition fees for a basic literacy (English) or numeracy (maths) course up to level 2. There are also no fees for GCSE English and maths if you have not already gained a C/4 or above grade in these subjects.

If you meet any of the following criteria you may be eligible for free or discounted study depending on your selected course:

  • You are aged 19 to 23 years and the course is your first full level 2 qualification (the equivalent of five GCSEs at grade A*-C/9-4)
  • You are aged 19 to 23 years and the course is your first full level 3 qualification (the equivalent of two A-level passes)
  • You are in receipt of active benefits (see Unemployed or on benefits section below for more information)
  • You have been referred to the College through your local Job Centre Plus office

Please note: in some cases exam and registration fees may be payable.

UK and EU students do not pay tuition or examination fees for government funded further education courses, as long as they have not reached their 19th birthday by the month in which their course begins.

Unemployed or on benefits?

If you are aged 19+ and in receipt of active benefits (e.g. Job Seeker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit) and studying below level 3 you may be eligible for free or discounted study depending on your selected course.

Paying for your course

You can set up an INTEREST FREE payment plan using your debit or credit card for course fees over £300 and at least 8 weeks long. Students can choose to pay their instalments on either the 1st or 15th day of the month, the first payment will be due on the month the course starts. The number of instalments is dependent on the length of the course and all payment plans must be completed at least 1 month before the end of the course.

If your employer is intending to pay for your course a signed Employer Authority Form should be supplied to you at enrolment.

Download Employer Authority Form

Refund Policy

Please click on the button below to view our refund policy.

If you wish to claim a refund for a course you've already paid for, please complete and return the below refund application form.

Refund Application Form