About the course
This level 3 motor vehicle course is designed to build on the knowledge from the Level 2 diploma, focusing on diagnostic techniques and introduces you to more in depth vehicle systems. Units include engine technology, electrical and electronic fault finding, transmission, steering and chassis systems.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Diagnosis and rectification of vehicle auxiliary electrical faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of engine faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of chassis system faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of transmission and driveline faults
- Inspecting light vehicles using prescribed methods
Learn in our large purpose built motor vehicle workshop equipped with the latest diagnostic testing and repair facilities. At City College it’s not just about cars – a range of commercial and heavy goods vehicles are also available to practise on.
50% Coursework/practical - 50% exam
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-4 (including English and maths, science and IT also preferred) OR
- Level 2 Motor Vehicle qualification (including GCSE English and maths grade A*-C/9-4)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Enter employment in garages, workshops and other vehicle repair roles
- Degree at university
Trips, visits & activities
- Visits to vehicle maintenance companies
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities