About the course
This career-led engineering qualification will provide you with advanced knowledge and understanding of the principles, methods and technology involved in a broad range of engineering subjects including manufacturing, computer aided design (CAD), fabrication and welding technology.
You will gain advanced practical skills and experience to prepare you for work or degree level study at college or university.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#168 UCAS points based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Engineering principles
- Delivery of engineering processes safely as a team
- Engineering product design and manufacture
- Applied commercial and quality principles
- Computer aided design (CAD)
- Electronic devices and circuits
- Mechanical behaviour of metallic materials
- A specialist engineering project
- Microcontroller systems for engineers
- Further engineering maths
- Pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Primary forming
- Maintenance of mechanical systems
- Fabrication manufacturing processes
- Welding technology
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
City College boasts specially designed and fully equipped workshops which provide realistic working environments
- Extensive fabrication & welding workshops
- Machining workshop
- Electronics workshop
- Modern CAD 2D and 3D equipment & software
95% coursework/practical - 5% exam
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-5 (including English, maths and science) OR
- Level 2 in Engineering (with GCSE English, maths and science grade A*-C/9-4)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- HNC in Engineering at City College
- Degree at university
- Work in engineering at technician or skilled craftsperson level
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Industry competitions
- Industry week activities
- Work experience
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.