About the course
This career-led carpentry and joinery course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to progress on to becoming a skilled carpenter in the construction industry. You will learn, develop and practise your carpentry and joinery skills to enable you to enter employment.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades.
What you will learn
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Produce woodworking joints
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Carry out first fix flooring and roofing
- Carry out first fix frames, partitions and stairs
- Carry out second fixing operations
- Carry out carpentry maintenance
- Set up and operate a circular saw
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
Our carpentry and joinery workshops provide a fantastic learning environment for you to learn in. They are equipped with industry standard equipment so you can learn the practical skills required for employment.
90% Coursework/practical - 10% Exam
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*–D/9–3 (including English and maths) AND
- A relevant level 1 qualification
- Practical qualifications may also be considered as an alternative entry depending on grade achieved
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below (including English and maths) OR
- Level 1 in English and maths
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Site Carpentry or Bench Joinery
- Entry level employment with construction companies (private and public sector)
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities