About this course
This barbering course is for those wishing to pursue barbering as a career and will give you the opportunity to develop or update your barbering skills. It will cover techniques for basic barbering, which includes working on gents’ hair and beards, preparing the hair, using basic cutting techniques to create shape and finishing using drying techniques.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
What you will learn
- Health & Safety
- Cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Style dress and finish hair using basic techniques
- Fulfil salon reception duties
- Provide scalp massage services
Practical lessons will consist of demonstrations, training, and working on models or training heads. Candidates will train until a level of competency is reached after which formal assessment will take place. This process will continue for the duration of the course.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Within the course structure there are four areas of assessments, practical observation, oral questioning, assignments/case studies, and two written test papers. You will need to pass all four areas of assessment. Completion of all assessments will be retained in a portfolio and used as evidence to show the external examiner.
- NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing or equivalent
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- A work experience placement within a barbering or hairdressing salon while you attend this course would be beneficial
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|18/09/18||11:00 - 18:30 (Tuesday)||1 year||Main campus||£1,487*|
- Level 3 Barbering
- Level 3 Hairdressing (via a trade test)
- Working in a commercial salon
- Working on a cruise ship
- Mobile hairdresser
You will need to purchase a barbering kit costing approximately £48.00 which includes a gents’ barbering head block, clippers with attachments and a barbering comb. You will be required to wear a uniform during all practical classes. This consists of a black tunic (cost approx. £19.50), black trousers and black shoes or plain black trainers. You will be expected to find models for your practical assessments who will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables. You will also be required to purchase text books. Men's hairdressing traditional and modern barbering, second edition (By Maurice Lister SBN 1-86152-916-3) is required for this course.