BA (Hons) in Person Centred Counselling & Psychotherapy Year 3
Qualification: BA (Hons)
About this course
This final year of the 3-year full time degree course provides high quality professional counsellor training and is delivered by an experienced, practising team. It is ideal if you are looking to become an advanced clinical practitioner in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy.
The course will provide you with a multi-disciplinary professional focus within a broad 'psy' industry such as psychopathology, developmental psychology, psychiatry and diagnostics. You will be required to attend college one full day per week.
This course is validated by Middlesex University and is officially accredited by the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and upholds their professional quality and standards.
Do you need help to pay for this course? Did you know you can take out a Higher Education Loan to help with this? The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information click here
What you will learn
You will cover personality development, psychopathology, skills practise, ethics, theory, and personal and professional development.
- Research methodologies and ethics
- Psychopathology, psychology, DSM V and PCA
- Advanced clinical practise/supervision -
- Dissertation and Viva
The course includes a clinical placement that lasts for the duration of the course. You will need to achieve 50 client hours in your placement. You will be expected to source this yourself, although we have a list of providers to help you with your search.
You will be required to attend City College one day per week and an annual summer school (3 days in August).
External commitments include:
- A clinical placement (50 hours per year)
- Supervision (in line with BACP guidelines)
- Reading, independent and peer study time
- Peer discussion (40 hours per year on e-forum)
Although this degree course carries part-time college attendance it holds full-time HE status because of the added external commitments.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including: written essays, group and individual presentations, practise observations, tape evaluations and dissertation/viva. Assessments are carried out by tutors, peers and self.
Students applying for this course must have:
- Level 5 Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling
- A BACP registered membership
- Secured a position in a clinical placement which will offer you a minimum of 50 client hours during your course
- Be willing to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) police check by your placement
You will be required to attend an interview at the college prior to enrolling. Prior to the interview you will need to submit 4 small essays as follows:
- 700 words on - Your understanding of Person-Centred Counselling/Psychotherapy. Give an overview followed by an example of your practice relating theory to practice
- 700 words on - Your understanding of Effective Supervision. Give an example from your practice of when supervision has been specifically important to your clinical work
- 700 words on - Your understanding of Ethical Practice. Outline an ethical dilemma from your experience, the various ways forward and why and how you chose, not chose, a way forward
- 500 words on – Your idea for a Small Scale Research Project. Outline your topic and how this fits with both your personal and clinical experience and PCA (you will not necessarily have to stick to this idea if you are accepted on to the course)
- You will need to provide two references (one from a past counselling tutor and the other from a counselling supervisor, if possible, one who has known you for 2 or more years). The reference form can be downloaded below.
Please send all of the above to email@example.com stating your full name and date of birth.
To your interview you will need to bring:
- The originals of your Diploma/FdA/Dip HE and transcript
- 100 hour Supervision Report
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|13/01/20||09:30 - 16:00 (Monday)||1 year||Main campus||£3,650* (eligible for Higher Education loan)|
- Full-time employment as an Advanced Counsellor or Psychotherapist within industries including:
- Masters Degree in Counselling / Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Clinical Supervision at City College
- Employee Assistant Programme (EAP)
- Corporate indutries e.g. finance
Although our library is expansively stocked, as with all university courses you will need a book budget of around £100-150.
This qualification is validated and awarded by Middlesex University, The Burroughs, Hendon, London NW4 4BT. Telephone 020 8411 5000