About this course
This career-led course is aimed at adults wanting to gain technical skills and knowledge in boat building at a more advanced level. The course is one day a week over two years and is held at our specialist Marine Skills Centre in Woolston, Southampton.
The Advanced Diploma in Boatbuilding consists of marine joinery, construction of hulls and boat structures and the use of composites materials.
* If you’re aged 19 or over and are starting a further education course at level 3 or above, you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. This course is eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan.
If you have any questions about this course, please contact us.
What you will learn
- Principles of marine construction and components
- Construction and repair of hulls and boat structures
- Producing and fitting structural boat components
- Fibre reinforced plastics technology for marine constructions
- Safe and effective working in the marine industry
Our Marine Skills Centre on the waterside in Woolston features some of the best marine training facilities in the region including:
- Composites workshop
- Marine engineering workshop
- Marine electrical workshop
- Boat building and repair workshop
- IT and CAD suites
- GCSEs grade C/4 or above (including English, maths and science), or
- Level 2 Marine Engineering, or
- Extensive experience and sound knowledge of marine engineering, wood working and electrical systems
You will be required to attend a College interview prior to enrolling onto the course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|15/09/22||09:00 - 16:30 (Y1 Tue, Y2 Thu)||2 years||Marine Skills Centre||£3,345* (eligible for Advanced Learner Loan)|
- Higher education (i.e. degree level study)
- Employment in marine construction or engineering