Taking On Apprentices
Programmes designed around the need of employers
What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes designed around the needs of employers, which lead to national recognised qualifications. Apprenticeships are a way to train both new and existing employees who are moving into a new or changed job role and need to learn new skills.
As the employer you must give your apprentice(s) an induction into their role and provide on-the-job training. You are also responsible for paying your apprentices’ wages.
Employers of apprentices under the age of 25 are not required to pay National Insurance Contributions (NICs) on earnings up to the Upper Earnings Limit (UEL), for those employees.
Funding is available for apprenticeships and our apprenticeship team can run through the options available for your business.
Some employers are now required to contribute to a new apprenticeship levy, and there have been changes to the funding for apprenticeship training for all employers. For more information click here.
How long do they take?
It can take between one and four years to complete an apprenticeship, depending on the ability of the person, the level they are working towards, and the type of sector they are working in.
Employment is expected to be for a minimum of 30 hours per week, except in the minority of circumstances, in these cases employment must be for more than 16 hours per week and the length of the apprenticeship will need to be increased accordingly to ensure the apprentice has gained the required level of skills and knowledge to do the job.
Benefits of employing an apprentice
There are a number of benefits to your business from employing an apprentice. Apprenticeships are a great way to train both new and existing employees who are moving into a new or changed job role.
- Your employees will be trained to high occupational standards
- Increased skills will help strengthen your competitiveness within your industry
- Increased productivity through trained staff with the right skills for the job
- Apprenticeships provide a career progression for your workforce
- Apprenticeship programmes give staff a fresh source of enthusiasm and motivation
- Employers will receive a payment incentive of £1,000 for a 16-18 year old or 19-24 year old with an EHCP (Educational, Health & Care Plan) or a Care Leaver. The incentive is paid in two halves, at month 3 and at month 12
- Fantastic for your company’s corporate social responsibility (CSR)
Why City College?
As the largest provider of apprenticeships in the region, with a highly experienced and dedicated team, we can help your business find apprentices that meet your needs. Once the apprentice(s) starts we continue our support and guidance for both you and the apprentice(s) with our dedicated team.
- City College is in the top 3 for apprenticeship success rates for FE Colleges on the South Coast
- We are approved by the Skills Funding Agency to deliver a range of Apprenticeship frameworks
- We are the largest provider of apprenticeships in Southampton
- We have a dedicated apprenticeship team that will guide you from the initial contact to the apprentice(s) completing their apprenticeship
- We match your apprenticeship vacancies to our pool of talented students
- Benefit from a designated Apprentice Co-ordinator to support and guide you and your apprentice right through the apprenticeship
- We provide high levels of teaching and assessment
To contact us for more information click here.
Our range of Apprenticeships
We offer a wide range of apprenticeships including:
- Business Administration
- Team Leading/Supervision
- Building Services Design Technician
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Electrical Installation
- Painting & Decorating
- Fabrication & Welding
- Heating & Ventilation Installer
- Heating & Ventilation Craftsperson
- Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technician (MOET)
- Heavy Motor Vehicle
- Light Motor Vehicle
- Marine Engineering
- Hair Professional
"We hire all of our apprentices through City College. What sets the college apart is it's not just willing, but keen to listen to the needs of the business and adapt its courses to the ever-changing landscape of the industry. For us, hiring apprentices allows us to create a new wave of driven young employees who are trained in the 'Quality Finish' way and able to lead the company forward far into the future."Hannah O'Doherty - Quality Finish Patisserie
"All applicants from City College were very promising and it was difficult to pick just five. They have already shown a great amount of enthusiasm and we know they will fit in with our company culture."Norman Blick - Oyster Yachts Southampton
“92% of employers said that their apprenticeship programme better motivated staff and increase job satisfaction”National Apprenticeship Service -
“81% of employers said that employing apprentices generated higher overall productivity for their company”National Apprenticeship Service -
"I've been very pleased with the way this apprentice project has progressed with City College. We have some very good students here who have made a valuable contribution to the business."Rob Wilson - Upton McGougan