About this course
This course is ideal if you wish to take up a career within the hairdressing industry, whether this is in a top leading salon, as a session stylist working backstage for catwalk and fashion shows across the world, or travelling the globe aboard cruise liners. It is a highly practical course, underpinned with the theoretical knowledge required for you to work safely in the salon and understand the basics of hairdressing skills.
The qualification is based on National Occupational Standards. They reflect the skills and knowledge required to do a job effectively and shows that you are competent in the units that you have achieved.
Your tutors are professionals with qualifications and experience in the hairdressing industry. They will help you to practice your new skills on each other, training heads and with clients in our newly built salons which are open to the general public as well as staff and students.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
Waiting list for January 2019
We plan to run another evening class, to start in January 2019, should we receive sufficient demand. Please contact us if you're interested. Email email@example.com or call 023 8048 4848.
What you will learn
In order to complete this course you must complete five core units:
- Working in the hair industry
- Health and safety in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- The art of dressing hair
You will also choose 2 or 3 optional units from:
- Cut women's hair
- Colour and lighten hair
- Perm and neutralise hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- The art of colouring
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Scalp massage
- Salon reception duties
- Plaiting and twisting hair
The necessary skills for this qualification will be learnt through a variety of situations these will include working in our commercial salon Kudos. Theory lessons are taught through a variety of methods from classroom, independent study, and online resources through our Visual Learning Environment (VLE).
This is a demanding course, and home study will also be an integral part of your work.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Certificates are assessed in a realistic working environment. For each unit your assessor observes you carrying out different services and checks your understanding, this information will be recorded in your logbook, which then provides formal evidence of your learning.
- GCSEs grade A*-D/9-3 in English or equivalent
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- A work experience placement within a hair salon while you attend this course would be beneficial
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|12/10/18||09:30 - 15:00 (Thu & Fri)||1 year||Main campus||£1,023*|
- Level 3 Hair
- Work in a commercial salon
- Work on a cruise ship
- Mobile hairdresser
We strive to source the best value kits for all our hairdressing courses (approx. £136). The kit itself contains everything you will need to embark on a career in hairdressing.
Consumables of £30 will have to be paid at first session of the course.
Due to health and safety regulations you will be required to purchase and wear in all practical sessions a full uniform which consists of the following: tunic, trousers and closed toed shoes. Please note that these are purchased through the college suppliers to ensure a high standard of presentation in our Kudos Hair and Beauty Salons.