Qualification: City and Guilds Award
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About this course
This short 12-week part-time course is designed for anyone who wishes to learn the relevant skills and achieve an Award in hair removal techniques.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
What you will learn
During this course, you will gain and develop your knowledge and understanding of hair removal techniques using wax. As a part of the course, you will be required to complete essential homework for assignments, as well as practicing the skills you have learnt in your own time.
Alongside the practical work, you will also cover Anatomy and Physiology to develop and provide an in-depth understanding of the human body.
If you have not worked within the beauty industry before, then you will also have to study a Health and Safety award alongside this course.
Lessons will be taught in the colleges very own modern, professional, commercial salons where you will have the opportunity to practice the skills you have learnt on paying customers. The salons are a real asset to the college and the experience you will have whilst working in them, will prepare you for any work you will have in a salon in the future. Having this facility also allows you develop customer service and customer relations skills as well as all the practical ability to carry out the treatments.
All teaching methods are selected to meet the levels and abilities of the individuals within the class and lecturers will do their best to meet the needs of every member of their class as individuals.
You will need to submit a portfolio demonstrating practical evidence and essential knowledge via assignments and tests; this will be complied over the duration of the course.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Assessments are carried out throughout the year and are a part of your study. As well as taking part in practical lessons in the salons, you are required to participate in student led activities within the class, complete work packs and case studies to create a portfolio of evidence. Carrying out these tasks will give you theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills.
As well as taking part in practical and theory lessons, you are required to revise for your online exams in your own time as well as practicing practical skills at home. Recommended time for this home study is approximately 10 hours per week.
Alongside practicing practical skills at home, you will be expected to provide models for your practical assessments; your models will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables.
- All applications require a good standard of education in English, Maths and Science with GCSEs grade A*-D/9-4 or the equivalent, and candidates who have successfully completed Level 1 Beauty course with a satisfactory reference and skills assessment
- You will be required to attend a short interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- This course is designed for over 19’s
- If you are a learner from the EU or have been an ESOL student will require a good standard of spoken English (Level 1 or above) so that you can hold a conversation with our wide client base
After completing this course, you could progress onto other short City and Guilds Award qualifications at Level 2 or onto the Level 2 Beauty Therapy course.
The beauty industry is a professional career; therefore we have certain rules and regulations within the Beauty salons that you must adhere to. You will not be accepted in the beauty salon without the following:
- Full beauty kit
- A clean and well pressed uniform - Inline turquoise tunic, trousers
- Clean shoes from Inline
- Day make up
- Clean tidy hairstyle hair should be tied back
- No jewellery except a wedding band
- Short nails which are unvarnished
- No nail extensions
- Facial piercings are to be removed
You will be required to wear a beauty uniform, and have a kit, you will be provided with order forms for these items. It is compulsory that you will have this kit before you start the course. We also recommend that you have a subject text book; the purchasing of this can be discussed at your interview.