Understanding Nutrition and Health
Qualification: NCFE Certificate
Level 2 (Distance Learning)
You can start this distance learning course at anytime throughout the year. Please apply and we will contact you to arrange getting you started.Apply now
About this course
This distance learning level 2 nutrition and health qualification will provide you with a solid understanding of nutrition and healthy eating, enabling you to progress or pursue further qualifications or employment within healthcare, sport and recreation, exercise and fitness, or hospitality and catering.
It is a flexible qualification that allows you to study at a time and place that suits you however you will be assigned a personal tutor who can support you if you need it.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
What you will learn
Explore the principles of healthy eating
Learn about diet and health including the components of a healthy diet. Explore different nutrients and their role in maintaining health, lifestyle diseases which are associated with an unhealthy diet, and healthy food preparation.
Consider the nutritional needs of a variety of individuals
Explore the nutritional needs of children, young people and older people. Understand special dietary requirements and the barriers to healthy eating.
Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet
Understand about food labelling and food additives. Be able to apply the principles of healthy eating.
The principles of weight management
Know the risks associated with ineffective weight management. Discover effective methods of weight management and how body image may influence weight management. Be able to plan a short-term weight management programme for an individual.
Understanding eating disorders
Understand the term ‘eating disorder’ and the possible causes. Explore how an eating disorder may affect the individual and others around them, and how a specific eating disorder can be managed.
Principles of food safety for the home environment
Learn the importance of handling food safely, how to store food safely and how storage can affect the nutritional values of food. Learn how to keep food work area clean, how to check food is cooked to the correct temperature and how to safely dispose of food waste.
This is a distance learning course - you will be provided with course handbooks to complete at enrolment. You will have the opportunity to have 1:1 support with the tutor, which could be in your workplace.
- You need to be aged 19 or over
- Have GCSE English grade C/4 or above
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
Course length & fees
- Fees: £30 (no fee if unemployed)
- Course Length: N/A
- Campus: Distance Learning
- Level 2 - Autism
- Level 2 - Behaviour that Challenges
- Level 2 - Business Admin
- Level 2 - Care Planning
- Level 2 - Children & Young People’s Mental Health
- Level 2 - Customer Service
- Level 2 - Dementia Care
- Level 2 - Dignity and Safeguarding in Adult Health & Social Care
- Level 2 - End of Life Care
- Level 2 - Falls Prevention
- Level 2 - Information Advice & Guidance
- Level 2 - Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 - Prevention & Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Level 2 - Retail Operations
- Level 2 - Safeguarding & Prevent
- Level 2 - Team Leading
- Level 2 - Working with People with Mental Health Needs