About the course
This course is suitable for you if you want a general introduction to the Travel and Tourism industry and have a desire to work in the Travel Industry. This might be as a holiday representative, travel agency, in hotels and visitor attractions, on cruise ships or as cabin crew.
What you will learn
- UK and Worldwide travel and tourism destinations
- Introduction to the cruise industry
- Retail travel services
- How to interpret holiday brochures
- Specialist holidays
- Suggesting and booking holidays
- Travel and tourism support services (Passport, visas, insurance, foreign exchange etc)
- Understanding and designing your own visitor attraction
- Resort representatives (Welcome meetings, airport transfers, resort information)
- Tourist information services (How Tourist Information Centres operate)
- Meet and greet in travel and tourism services
- Mock-up of an equipped plane fuselage
- Training off-site including fire & safety training centres
- Trips to UK tourist destinations and attractions
- 4 GCSEs grade D/3 or below (including English and maths) or
- Level 1 Introductory Diploma in Travel and Tourism (including Level 1 in English and maths)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Level 3 in Travel and Tourism
- Entry level employment within the industry
(Waiter/Waitress, Trainee Receptionist, Conference Steward, Chambermaid)
Pippa BookerTravel & Tourism Tutor
For more than 30 years, Pippa Booker worked as a chef, a hotel general assistant, a head receptionist, a sales and marketing manager of a hotel and an events venue finder. With such far-reaching experience in the industry, Pippa, teacher of hospitality, travel and tourism at City College Southampton, is able to make her lessons interactive and realistic.
Pippa said: "Over the years I've acquired quite a few stories about the trade, so I have a never ending supply of anecdotes ready to bring a lesson to life."
Pippa has a degree in hotel management from the University of Leeds and her experience includes serving 850 meals a day as a catering supervisor at Southampton General Hospital and overseeing 42 weddings in a summer at the Vine Hotel at Ower. Over just one Christmas period she and her team had to deliver 3000 covers in the restaurant. This event experience put her in great stead to take a role in an event management company, where she found venues for clients such as BT and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
Pippa also brings entrepreneurial skills to City College and, after owning her own events management company for eight years, teaches classes about running a small business. Her company ran events all over Europe and often had famous guests, including HRH Prince Charles.
Pippa said: "Having owned a business I've been faced with many situations and, having worked across so many different sectors of hospitality and tourism, I have lots of advice and experience to pass on to my students. I know all the pitfalls you could possibly come across!"
Pippa has taught at City College for six years. Last year she became the first person in Southampton and one of only two academics in the country to gain the Cruise Master qualification from the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). She continues to pass on the most up to date industry knowledge to her students.