About the course
If you want a career working with hair and make-up in the entertainments industry this course could be for you. This exciting career-led course covers the application of specialised make-up and synthetic hair for theatrical and media purposes. The course is a balance of practical work and theory based work.
You will put the workshop skills you learn into practice and document your progress in sketch books to document evidence in order to complete the units on this course.
You will also learn about production arts, performing arts business and production arts planning. You will work on two performances so work experience is a vital part of the course.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#Based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Health and safety in the salon
- Cosmetic make-up science
- Media make-up
- Style and fit postiche
- Photographic make-up
- Anatomy and physiology for make-up design and effects
- Airbrush make-up
- Cosmetic camouflage
- False eyelash application
- Styling and dressing hair
- Face and body art
- Create and cast small prosthetic pieces and bald caps
- Making a wig piece/postiche
- Fantasy hair
- End of year project
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
70% Coursework/practical - 30% exam
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 (including English and science), OR
- Level 2 in Art & Design, Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy (with GCSE English and science grade A*-C/9-4)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- HNC in Art & Design at City College
- Degree at university
- Employment in hair and make-up industry
- Work as a freelance make-up artist
Trips, visits & activities
- Trips to local theatres
- Industry shows and exhibitions
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
Due to health and safety regulations all students are required to purchase and wear in all practical sessions a full uniform which consists of tunic, trousers and closed toed shoes. These are purchased through the College suppliers to ensure a high standard of presentation in our Kudos Hair and Beauty salons.
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.