About the course
This course is for volunteers and newly employed classroom assistants who have been working in an education setting for less than two years, supporting pupils aged 4-16 years who are in year 1 or above (NOT reception year), or supporting students in a Further Education setting working at or up to Key Stage 4 and/or with special educational needs.
It is a practical, part-time course which includes optional units and allows the qualification to be tailored to the age and needs of the pupils being supported as well as the setting. Your tutor and assessor will guide you through the process.
* If you're unemployed or on a low wage and in receipt of benefits, then you might be eligible for full funding on this course. Please contact us for details on 023 8048 4848.
What you will learn
This course comprises 12 units, 10 mandatory and 2 optional taken from a comprehensive selection, which are relevant and competence based. You will learn about good practice in your role and how to produce a portfolio of evidence to meet the national standards.
- Child and young person (CYP) development
- Safeguarding the welfare
- Communication and relationships
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Improve own and team practice
- Maintain and support relationships
- Support CYP health and safety
- Support CYP positive behaviour
- Support learning activities
Optional units include:
- Preparing the environments
- Schools as organisations
Direct observation of performance takes place within your workplace. This is an ongoing process that requires your co-operation to ensure that your assessor is able to access your workplace to do this. There are also written questions and professional discussions.
You are required to be in a work placement for at least ten hours a week. These can be voluntary hours or paid employment. The support of a mentor within the workplace is also required. You need to have a minimum of Level 1 Literacy and be working towards Level 2 or an equivalent qualification.
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|13/12/17||09.30 - 12.30 (Wednesday)||1 year||Main||£825*|
- Level 3 Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Paid employment within the sector
These courses are run part-time day or evening. Your class teacher will need to agree to the signing of some work and provide witness testimonies where relevant. It is therefore suggested that you take the necessary steps with your work setting to ensure you will have this support and if possible bring confirmation of this to your interview.