Subsidiary Diploma in Engineering
Qualification: BTEC Subsidiary Diploma
About the course
If you want to gain a qualification to enter or further your career in engineering, then this course is for you. This is a technical one-year programme, equivalent to an A-level, covering a wide range of engineering related topics. It combines both academic and practical study covering a wide range of units.
This course leads into a second year of the National Diploma in either Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. This programme is also suitable for students wishing to study at HNC/HND level who have not studied on an engineering course at Level 3 for some years.
*If you are aged 19 or over and are starting a further education course at level 3 or above, you may qualify for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan. This course is eligible for a 19+ Loan – for more information on how to apply click here.
What you will learn
This course consists of six units, some of which are: communications, health and safety and mathematics. You will select whether you wish to follow the Mechanical or Electrical pathway.
Mechanical units studied are:
- Mechanical principles
- Engineering drawing
- Engineering materials
Electrical units studied are:
- Electrical principles
- Electronic principles
- Electrical applications
Other pathways including welding and fabrication may be offered subject to further discussion with the college.
Students learn via the classroom to develop the underpinning knowledge and skills required to complete task sheets that test your understanding. Practical demonstrations and experiments are also integral to the programme.
The course is continually assessed. Throughout the course you will be tasked with various assignments. You will be supported throughout the assessment process to help you achieve to your full potential.
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C (including English and maths)
- Level 2 in Engineering (minimum of a Merit grade) and completed or working towards Functional Skills in English and maths at Level 2
- Relevant work experience and/or equivalent qualifications
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- Second year BTEC National Diploma in either Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Employment in the engineering industry
- Career development and progression