Qualification: City & Guilds Diploma
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About this course
Learn the skills to cook in the catering and food industry as a professional Chef. You will learn in our industry-standard training kitchens which serve our fine dining Aspire restaurant. This will provide you with the essential experience that employers look for when recruiting in the industry.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Advanced professional cookery skills
- Preparation and cooking of meat, fish and poultry
- Complex hot and cold sauces and soups
- Preparation of vegetable dishes including vegetarian and vegan
- Fermented dough products
- Hot and cold dessert products
- Develop complex dishes for Aspire Restaurant
- Supervision of staff in the training restaurant kitchen
- Problem solving and team work
- Food safety
- Health and safety
Our modern commercial kitchens and commercial fine dining restaurant (Aspire) will provide you with the perfect place to learn your trade in this industry. Gain valuable experience of working in the restaurant and at catering events that will build your CV and enhance your employability.
- Level 2 in Hospitality & Catering (including Level 2 functional skills or GCSE English and maths grade 9-4/A*-C), OR
- Relevant industry skills and experience
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
- Career opportunities include chefs and chefs de partie in hotels, large restaurant chains and cruise ships
- Cooks in hospital or schools
- Degree at university
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Entry to industry competitions
- Industry week activities
- Work experience
At City College
Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery
Chef at Keats Restaurant, Romsey
Simon HartHospitality & Catering Tutor
Simon began his 20 years in the catering industry with an apprenticeship at age 17. Throughout his rewarding career he has prospered and gained experience in most aspects of hospitality, from event catering to fine dining to even running his own restaurant for several years.