About this course
If you like the sound of a career working backstage to make a performance come to life this course is for you. You will assist with producing a variety of performances including the pantomime, lighting and sound show and a contemporary arts showcase. You will learn the skills to operate kit and equipment including lights, rigging, AV and sound as well as set design and the basics of event management.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Lighting skills – rigging and operation
- Sound skills – operation and EQ
- Stage management
- Set construction and scenic painting
- Prop making
- Roles within a production team
- Health and safety within events industry
- 4 GCSEs grade 3/D or above (including English)
- Mature students considered depending on experience
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|01/09/20||1 year||Main campus|
Level 3 Extended Diploma in Production Arts
Trips, visits & activities
- Local theatres, production companies and trade shows
- Harry Potter Studio tour
- Cruise ship visit
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
Marc FaircloughProduction Arts Tutor
Marc has been a production manager for the past 15 years and has worked in theatre for over 30 years. He has undertaken roles including Set Builder, Sound and Lighting Designer, Event Manager and Freelance Theatre Consultant. Marc is an award winning director for shows across the South directing plays and musical theatre.