About the course
This course will allow you to learn, develop and practice the skills required for a career in the plumbing and heating industry. You will learn about various domestic system installation and maintenance techniques, pipework fabrication processes as well as the scientific principles behind plumbing and heating.
The course is a combination of practical and theory based work giving you the opportunity to learn in our plumbing and heating workshop. Our tutors have all worked in the plumbing and heating trade, so can pass on to you their industry expertise and knowledge.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Scientific principles in plumbing and heating
- Pipework fabrication processes and techniques for plumbing and heating systems
- Domestic hot and cold water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic central heating system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques
- Electrical systems within building services engineering
- Health and safety in building services engineering
- Communication skills
- Heating and ventilation workshop
- Electrical workshop
- Welding workshop
- CAD suite
- Off-site surveying
- Extensive research facilities
60% Coursework/practical - 40% exam
- 4 GCSEs grade A*-D/9-3 (including English, maths and science)
- Practical qualifications may also be considered as an alternative entry depending on grade achieved
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Building Services Engineering or Heating and Ventilation
- Employment in plumbing, heating and ventilation, electrical, refrigeration and air conditioning industries
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
You will need flame-proof (pro-ban) overalls and safety boots with steel toe caps for workshop tasks plus a ring binder, writing implements & paper for theory.