Qualification: City & Guilds Diploma
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About this course
This qualification is aimed at adults who would like to gain the basic knowledge and skills required to become a Marine Engineer.
You will develop a range of transferable skills over a cross section of production, manufacturing and service sectors which are valued by employers and therefore increase your employability skills.
The course, held at our Marine Skills Centre in Woolston, covers marine engines, ancillary systems and marine propulsion systems.
Upon completion of the qualification you will have been introduced to the scope and opportunities offered within the wider marine industry and developed most of the basic skills and knowledge needed to enable you to progress into further training to become a qualified Marine Engineer.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
What you will learn
This qualification will cover marine engineering processes and principles to support you to:
- Install, maintain, fault find and repair marine engines, ancillary systems and equipment
- Design and produce solutions to meet boat layouts, restrictions and engineering requirements
- Produce boat engineering systems from engineering and technical drawings to specifications
- Manufacture, assemble, strip, repair and re-build components
Our Marine Skills Centre on the waterside in Woolston features some of the best marine training facilities in the region including:
- Composites workshop
- Marine engineering workshop
- Marine electrical workshop
- Boat building and repair workshop
- IT and CAD suites
- GCSEs grade A*-C/9-4 (including English, maths and science) grade D/3 may be considered in some circumstances
- Experience and sound knowledge of marine engineering, wood working and electrical systems
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
- Level 3 Diploma in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance
- Apprenticeship in Marine Engineering, Marine Electrical or Boat Building