Learning through Creative Activities (Leisure)
Qualification: College Certificate
About this course
This is a creative leisure course for adults (18+) with learning difficulties/disabilities aimed at developing confidence, independence and social skills through a range of creative activities which are student led.
Enthusiasm and willingness to take part is key as activities are wide ranging and “hands on” including arts and crafts, cookery, ICT and off-site trips to places of interest. Students are encouraged to participate in wider college activities and celebrate cultural events as appropriate.
The sessions are designed to give maximum opportunity for students to develop their communication and social skills. The course has a strong focus on a “student led” approach, with students being encouraged to suggest and choose activities and places to visit.
What you will learn
The course content varies each year and is adapted to the group’s interests. Previous activities include:
- Arts and crafts: painting, drawing, printing, working with clay, glass painting, collage, decoupage, textiles and photography
- Cooking and baking: including planning meals & shopping for ingredients
- Speaking and listening activities – discussions, games, quizzes etc.
- Access to technology using computers and iPads: creating presentations, interactive art, quizzes, games
- Dance sessions
- Supported reading project: reading & writing about favourite topics
- Off-site trips to Galleries, Museums, Southampton Football Stadium, Winchester & the Isle of Wight
- Power boating
Students have the opportunity to work on individual projects that are of particular interest to them as well as taking part in whole group activities.
The course is a structured, student-centred leisure course within a college setting with opportunities to develop a range of creative and communication skills alongside more academic skills such as reading, writing, money recognition & computer skills all of which can be adapted to suit individual learning styles.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. All students need to demonstrate a willingness to take part in activities. All ages and abilities are welcome however if you need 1:1 support you may need to bring your own support worker. This can be discussed and assessed at interview.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|16/09/21||09:30 - 15:30 (Thursday)||1 Year||Main Campus||£1,995 (approx. £57/day)|