HNC in Technical Theatre and Stage Management
Qualification: BTEC HNC / HND
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About the course
If you're seeking a career in technical production arts or stage management, then this higher education course is ideal. Taught by industry professionals, you will gain a high level of skills and practical experience in a range of production and technical theatre disciplines.
You will gain valuable hands-on skills by working as technical staff within our own 240-seat commercial theatre and at external events and performances.
* HE loan - The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information visit www.slc.co.uk
What you will learn
- Stage management
- Lighting: rigging, focusing and operation
- Set construction
- Stage audio visual systems
- Health and safety
- Professional practice
- Professional theatre with the latest equipment
- Recording studio
- Set and prop construction workshop
- Fully equipped sound and lighting studio
- Links with local theatres and entertainment businesses
- Level 3 Diploma in Production Arts or
- Suite of A-levels including at least one in a relevant subject
- Those with extensive work experience in the theatre or events sector will also be considered
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- HND or top-up to degree level in technical theatre and production arts
- Work as a theatre technician or stage manager in theatres, clubs, holiday centres, cruise ships or at public performance events (e.g. stage/floor management, set design, audio engineering, light engineering, AV support)
- Career development
Shaun Hobbs & Ashton Partridge
A duo of City College alumni are now working as technicians in one of the region’s leading theatres.
Shaun Hobbs and Ashton Partridge, who both studied BTEC national diploma in technical theatre and event management at City College, now work as theatre technicians at The Point in Eastleigh.
Shaun, 24, from Southampton, and Ashton, 21, from Eastleigh, both chose a career in the arts industry due to their strong passion for theatre and interest in what goes on behind-the-scenes of a live show.
Shaun said: “Without the hard working teams behind the scenes of a production, there would only be a performer in the middle of a dark, unlit stage.”
Both Shaun and Ashton are responsible for the day-to-day running of the theatre, assisting its technical manager, Tim Slater. Their job role is varied and their responsibilities include initial liaisons with visiting theatre companies, strategically planning all technical requirements, and fully designing and rigging both the lighting and sound for the productions.
The pair both worked on an outdoor summer show of 'Wind in the Willows', in the grounds of IBM, in Hursley, and have built up a large portfolio, providing technical support for productions including 'Treasure Island', at The Point, 'Eastleigh Unwrapped' festival and 'James and the Giant Peach' at The Berry Theatre, Hedge End.
Shaun believes that his success so far was helped greatly by his time at City College and their fantastic industry-standard facilities. He said: “My tutors were invaluable to me through their teaching and mentorship. In the future I’d hope to progress to working on larger-scale touring productions and venues, allowing me more design opportunities.”
Ashton added: “I too hope to gain more creative opportunities, with a long-term ambition of becoming a technical manager in a venue.”