About the course
This course is ideal for those with a desire to be a professional photographer, work in creative industries, or enhance their skills for work or pleasure. Run by tutors with a wealth of professional industry experience, you will develop your existing skills and explore new concepts. The course will provide you with a range of styles and techniques relevant to your chosen specialism.
You will learn a range of camera techniques and skills working on location and in our state-of-the-art photography studio. You will also gain valuable work experience and professional development by working to live project briefs.
The course includes 1.5 contact days per week at college and will culminate in an exhibition where you will showcase your work in a professional setting to the public, local employers and higher education institutions.
The HNC can be classed as the first year component of the HND, however it can be taken as a stand-alone qualification if you desire. Progression can eventually lead to a relevant degree via a top up year at university.
* HE loan - The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information visit www.slc.co.uk
What you will learn
The aims of this course are to encourage and nurture your creative and technical skills. The programme of study explores a range of units including:
- Location photography
- Studio practice in photography
- Digital image creation and development
- Photographic techniques
- Ideas generation and development
- Contextual and cultural referencing
- Professional practice
- Fashion photography
- Advertising photography
- Specialist practice in photography
Classes take place in specially designed photography studios and involve a range of activities including group and individual work. You will be encouraged to build on your strengths and develop further in areas for improvement. There is an overarching priority to build confidence and enable you to develop your own creative style. This is a practical course with some written units. There are no written exams.
- Large and fully equipped photography studio with industry standard equipment
- Digital and analogue technology
- Photography dark room
- Suite of Apple Macs featuring latest Adobe CC software for editing and processing
- Gallery exhibition space
- Level 3 qualification in design, photography, media or other relevant subject area (ideally a foundation or extended diploma) AND
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-4 (including English and maths) and 1 creative A-Level
- Good IT skills
- Strong creative portfolio of work
- Demonstrate a strong commitment and interest in photography
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|14/09/16||09:00 - 17:00 (Tues) & 09:00 - 13:00 (Wed)||1 year||Main site||£3500* (eligible for Higher Education loan)|
|13/09/17||1 year||Main||£3500* (eligible for Higher Education loan)|
- HND in photography
- Top-up to degree level course in photography
- Employment in the photography industry
- Career development
A digital SLR camera is essential for this course. You are also advised to purchase a USB memory stick of 1GB or more.