HNC in Building Services Engineering
Qualification: BTEC HNC
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About the course
This course is designed for experienced employees within the building services engineering industry in the areas of M&E design, installation, project management or estimating. It will prepare you for a range of technical, professional and management careers. Developed with career progression in mind this qualification is recognised by the main professional body CIBSE.
* HE loan - The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information visit www.slc.co.uk
What you will learn
You will look at building services engineering design and explore the science behind these services. You will also look at management and design principles and how to put them into practice.
You will study design principles and concepts, and apply all your learning in a group project.
Units for this course include:
- Design principles and application
- Applied mathematics in construction
- Health, safety and welfare
- Management principles and application
- Low pressure hot water for non-domestic buildings
- Air conditioning for industrial and commercial buildings
- Application of scientific principles to building services engineering
- Group project
In the second year of study you will have the opportunity to specialise in either electrical or mechanical engineering.
This is a theory and work-related course. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
- Heating and ventilation workshop
- Electrical workshop
- CAD suite
Continuous assessment of assignments and projects; either controlled or set as coursework.
You should be at least 18 years of age and have either:
- At least one A-Level and 5 GCSE grades A*-C/9-4 (including English, maths and an appropriate science or technology subject)
- A-Level related level 3 qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment
- Those with substantial professional experience in the sector will also be considered
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- HND or degree level course in construction and the built environment
- Professional qualifications offered by CIBSE
- Employment in Building Services in roles such as Quantity Surveyor, Building Services Engineer or Civil Engineer.
Studied Construction & Built Environment at City College.
Now Building Services Engineer at Gary Jones Associates.
Southampton teenager Thomas Campbell is fast-forwarding a career for himself as a building services engineer with help from City College Southampton.
The 19-year-old, from Bassett Green, is undertaking his level 5 HND apprenticeship qualification - which is equivalent to a foundation degree - and working with one of the region’s leading building services engineering firms, Gary Jones Associates Limited (GJAL).