About this course
Our Health & Social Care course provides you with an excellent stepping stone to a career as a nurse, midwife, paramedic, care worker and a wealth of other health and care professions. The course is a mixture of learning that is challenging but exciting and includes practical workshops, experiments, role play, classroom learning and a weekly work placement in a health or care setting.
If you want a great opportunity to gain an understanding on how to care for people this course is ideal for you.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#168 UCAS points based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Human life span and development
- Working in health and social care
- Meeting individual needs
- Principles of safe practice
- Nutritional health
- Psychological perspectives or Psychological disorders
- Work placement
- Anatomy and physiology
- Work experience in health and social care
- Promoting public health
- Enquiries into current research
- Caring for individuals with dementia
- Understanding mental wellbeing
- Supporting individual needs
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
- 5 GCSEs grade 9-4/A*-C (including English, maths and science) OR
- Level 2 in Health & Social Care or Early Years (including level 2 functional skills)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Degree at university
- Higher apprenticeship in Nursing
- Work in hospitals, community care, health services and social work
Trips, visits and activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- External careers events
- Industry week activities
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.
Julianne NelsonHealth & Social Care Tutor
Julianne’s expert insight of health care stems from her 8 years of experience as a public health nurse where she specialised in safeguarding and child development. Her time in midwifery (both community and specialist) also contributes to the knowledge Julianne provides our students.