About the course
The first year of this course is a great introduction to both health & social care and early years. In the second year you will specialise in health & social care learning a combination of practical and theory based topics to give you a range of skills required for working in this industry.
You will complete a weekly work placement as a part of this course.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- The services and roles available for a career in health, social care and early year’s sectors
- Health and safety
- Communication skills
- Healthy eating
- The values of working with children and vulnerable groups
- Individual rights and needs
- Ensuring safe environments
- Cultural diversity
- Anatomy and physiology
- Creative and therapeutic activities
- Health and social care services
- Diet and nutrition
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
100% coursework / practical
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*–D/9–3 (including English, maths and science) OR
- Level 1 Diploma in Health & Social Care or Early Years (with level 1 functional skills)
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below OR
- Entry level certificate
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Level 3 in Health and Social Care
- Advanced Apprenticeship
- Enter employment
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- External careers events
- Industry week activities