About this course
This course will develop your technical skills and knowledge in advanced cutting, styling and colouring techniques. It will also build on your customer service and health and safety skills required to work in the industry.
The course is a combination of practical work in our commercial
salon as well as classroom based theory lessons.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Consultation support for colleagues on
- Cut women’s hair to create a variety of looks
- Style and dress hair using a variety of techniques
- Colour hair to create a variety of looks
- Creative hairdressing design skills
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
- 4 GCSEs grades 4/C or above (including English and maths)
- Level 2 Technical Diploma in Hairdressing (including GCSE English and maths grade 4/C or above)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|01/09/20||1 year||Main campus|
- Enter employment in commercial salons, destination/day spas,
cruise ships, theatres, airlines or hotel chains
- Start your own hairdressing business
- Degree at university
- Level 3 Make-Up
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Entry to industry competitions
- Industry week activities
- Work experience
We strive to source the best value kits for all our hairdressing courses (approx. £172). The kit itself contains everything you will need to embark on a career in hairdressing.
Consumables of £30 will have to be paid at first session of the course.
Due to health and safety regulations you will also be required to purchase and wear in all practical sessions a full uniform which consists of the following: tunic, trousers and closed toed shoes. Please note that these are purchased through the college suppliers to ensure a high standard of presentation in our Kudos Hair and Beauty Salons.
Julie BurrowsHairdressing Tutor
Julie has extensive knowledge of the hair industry due to working for global hairdressing company Toni & Guy in London for more than a decade. During her time there Julie took charge of training junior staff – it is this unique experience that enables her to provide innovative lessons.