About the course
This course will give you the opportunity to develop and update your technical skills including advanced cutting, colour correction and working on long hair-up creations. Gaining a Level 3 Hairdressing qualification can lead you to more career opportunities, promotion and the skills to offer extended hair dressing services.
It is a practical course, which is underpinned by a theoretical background. Your tutors are professionals with qualifications and experience within the hairdressing industry. They will help you to practice your new skills on each other, training heads and with clients in our newly built commercial Kudos Hair salons which are open to the general public as well as staff and students.
* If you are aged 19 or over and are starting a further education course at level 3 or above, you may qualify for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan. This course is eligible for a 19+ Loan – for more information on how to apply click here.
What you will learn
- Health and safety
- Style and dress using advance techniques
- Cut women's hair to create a variety of looks
- Colour hair to create a variety of looks
- Hair colour correction (this is a Level 4 unit)
Units are carefully selected to ensure you achieve to your full potential and gain the skills to progress onto a higher level or chosen career path.
The necessary skills for this qualification will be learnt through a variety of situations these will include working in our commercial salon Kudos. Theory lessons are taught through a variety of methods from classroom, independent study, and online resources through our Visual Learning Environment (VLE).
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Assessments are on a continuous programme of study in a realistic working environment. For each unit your assessor observes you carrying out different services and checks your understanding. This information will be recorded in your logbook, which then provides formal evidence of your learning. You will also be required to take photographic evidence of practical assessments to build into your portfolio.
Within the course structure there are four areas of assessment. These are: practical observation, assignments, case studies and on-line exams. As part of your programme you will be required to complete essential homework for assignments, as well as practicing your hairdressing skills in your own time. On completion, all assessments will be retained in a portfolio and used as evidence to show an external examiner.
- Level 2 in Hairdressing
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- If attending full-time, a work experience placement within a hair salon while you attend this course is required
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|19/09/17||09.30 - 16.00 (Tue) & 9.30 - 13.30 (Thu)||1 year||Main||£1,800* (eligible for 19+ Advanced Learning Loan)|
|19/09/17||17.00 - 21.00 (Tues & Thu)||1 year||Main||£1,800* (eligible for 19+ Advanced Learning Loan)|
- University e.g. Degree in hair design or make-up
- Train to become an assessor or teacher
- Start your own hairdressing business
- Senior level work in a commercial salon
- Work on a cruise ship
A full hairdressing kit is required which must include two head blocks and a Level 3 theory book. Due to health and safety regulations you will be required to wear full uniform whilst in practical sessions.
It will be crucial to source your own models to achieve practical assessments.