Engineering, Shipping and Maritime Operations
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About this course
This course is the start of training for a rewarding career in the Merchant Navy or to pursue various maritime/engineering opportunities, at sea and ashore. It has been developed in partnership with the Merchant Navy Training Board and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. You will benefit from expert tutors, our bespoke Marine Skills Centre and strong industry partnerships that lead to excellent employment opportunities
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Maritime sector introduction
- Controlling vessel operations effectively
- Securing a vessel for passage
- Assisting with a vessel’s navigational watch
- Ship construction
- Anchoring and mooring operations
- Controlling operation of survival craft and rescue boats
- Nautical science
- Mathematics and numeracy for seafarers
- Maritime employment, environmental and health and safety practice
5 GCSEs grade 9–5/A*–C including English, maths and science
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
- Maritime Cadetship