About this course
This qualification is designed for those working or aspiring to work as a teacher or trainer. It is a recognised route to gaining Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status which allows you to teach in schools, colleges and in further education. You should be qualified and/or experienced in the subject you intend to teach, have access to 100 teaching practice hours during the course and have a level 2 in literacy.
The course will enable you to take a practical and analytical approach to all the aspects of training and education, from planning and designing learning through to teaching, assessing and supporting learners. You will also cover the theories and principles of education and training and be given the opportunity to embed these in your own teaching and practice.
Do you need help to pay for this course? Did you know you can take out a Higher Education Loan to help with this? The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information click here
What you will learn
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which extends into investigation and research into current practice, theories and models relating to education and training. Throughout the programme, you will demonstrate your ability to transfer the findings of your research into your own practice. The units included in this course are:
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment
- Theories, principles and models in education and training
- Evaluating learning programmes
- Equality and diversity
- Developing teaching learning and assessment in education and training
- Developing, using and organising resources in a specialist area
- Wider professional practice and development in education and training
- Action research
Theory is taught in the classroom using a variety of learning styles. You will write a reflective essay at the end of each course unit. You will be supported by a subject mentor, supporting you with contextualisation and finding resources. Your teaching practice will be observed during lessons to provide feedback and reflections to improve your abilities.
You will be assessed using a variety of methods including reports, reflective essays, podcasts, assignments, presentations, and lesson observations. There are no exams.
- A Level 3 Award in Education and Training or Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector/PTLLS Level 3
- Qualified and/or experienced in the subject you intend to teach
- You will need a level 2 in English (literacy)
- Access to 100 hours teaching practice over the course
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|08/10/18||09:00 - 12:00 (Monday)||2 years||Main campus||£2,200* (eligible for Higher Education loan)|
- Qualified Teaching and Learning Status (QTLS) – an online portfolio through the Education and Training Foundation
- BA in education with a local university
- Work in further education or training organisations in a teaching and/or training role
This qualification is awarded by City College Southampton.