About the course
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training is a knowledge-based introduction to teaching and/or training which has no teaching/training practice requirement. Therefore it may be undertaken even if you are are not in a teaching role.
If you successfully complete this qualification you will have a fundamental understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a teacher/trainer in relation to legislation, equality, diversity, inclusivity and meeting the needs of learners. You will be able to sequence learning, plan and deliver sessions, using appropriate resources and teaching methods. You will also be able to identify the characteristics of effective assessment and feedback.
Who is this course for?
- For those who work, or want to work as teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector
- For those who are not in a teaching/training role, or who have just started a teaching/training role
- For those who want a short qualification to enable them to make career choices
- For those who have already achieved some Learning and Development units that can be carried forward into this qualification
What you will learn
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers/trainers in the further education and training skills sector:
- The roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Inclusive teaching and learning approaches
- Assessment of learners
- Facilitating learning and development for individuals
- Facilitating learning and development in groups
- Understanding principles and practices of assessment
You will study 3 units:
- Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training
- Understanding assessment in education and training
The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments and observation of teaching or training. Practical assessment is a minimum of a 15 minute microteach and 45 minutes observing other students in practice during their microteach sessions. You will be taught to use Harvard referencing to develop academic writing skills.
There are no formal entry requirements. You will need to have evidence that you are able to study at Level 3, either a Level 2 Literacy qualification, GCSE or other qualification studied at a higher level would be suitable.
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide evidence of IELTs at 6.5 or have an ESOL qualification at Level 1 as a minimum.
Even though you will not need to be in a teaching role whilst on this course, you will need to have an idea of what it is that you wish to teach. You may also need to have a Level 3 in the vocational subject.
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|24/09/18||09.00 - 12.00 (Monday)||15 weeks||Main||£490|
|01/11/18||17.00 - 20.00 (Thursday)||15 weeks||Main||£490|
|11/02/19||09.00 - 12.00 (Monday)||15 weeks||Main||£490|
|07/03/19||17.00 - 20.00 (Thursday)||15 weeks||Main||£490|
The qualification allows you to progress into employment as a teacher/trainer, as well as to the following qualifications:
- Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training
- Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training