About the course
This qualification is designed for those working or aspiring to work as a teacher or trainer. It is a recognised route to gaining Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status which allows you to teach in schools, colleges and in further education.
The course will enable you to take a practical and analytical approach to all the aspects of training and education, from planning and designing learning through to teaching, assessing and supporting learners. You will also cover the theories and principles of education and training and be given the opportunity to embed these in your own teaching and practice. You will need to have access to 100 hours teaching practice during the course.
* HE loan - The Student Loans Company provides loans and grants to learners at college studying Higher Education. For more information visit www.slc.co.uk
What you will learn
The programme of study explores the following range of units:
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment
- Theories, principles and models in education and training
- Evaluating learning programmes
- Equality and diversity
- Developing teaching learning and assessment in education and training
- Developing, using and organising resources in a specialist area
- Wider professional practice and development in education and training
- Action research
Theory is taught in the classroom using a variety of learning styles. You will maintain a reflective journal throughout the course and you will be supported by a subject mentor. Your teaching practice will be observed during lessons to provide feedback and reflections to improve your abilities.
You will be assessed using a variety of methods including reports, assignments, presentations, and lesson observations. There are no exams.
- A Level 3 Award in Education and Training or (PTLLS), Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector Level 3
- You will need good written and spoken English, i.e. the ability to read and interpret written tasks and to write in an academic style.
- Access to 100 hours teaching practice over the course
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|09/01/18||17.30 - 20.30||2 years||Main||£2,000* (eligible for Higher Education loan)|
- Qualified Teaching and Learning Status (QTLS) – an online portfolio through the Education and Training Foundation
- BA in education with a local university
- Career development