About the course
The first year of this course is a great introduction to early years and health and social care. In the second year you will specialise in early years with a combination of practical and theory based topics to give you a range of skills required for working in the industry.
It will prepare you to work with children between birth and five years, with knowledge of children up to seven years. A weekly work placement is compulsory for this course.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades which will be discussed at your interview.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Services and roles in health, social care and early years sectors
- Health and safety
- Communication skills
- Healthy eating
- The values of working with children and vulnerable groups
- Role of an Early Years Practitioner
- Play, development and learning for school
- Supporting children’s play and development
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Legislation, framework and professional practice
- Professional development
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*–D/9–3 (including English and maths, science is also preferred) OR
- Level 1 Diploma in Early Years or Health & Social Care (with level 1 functional skills)
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below, OR
- Entry level certificate
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Level 3 Technical Diploma in Early Years
- Apprenticeship in Early Years
- Work in nurseries, reception classes at primary schools or pre-schools
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
- Visits to nurseries
Corin CollantineEarly Years Tutor
Corin began her long career in early years as a qualified Nursery Nurse. She has worked in schools as a Learning Support Assistant and in retail as a baby equipment consultant and manager. Corin then trained as a primary school teacher and over the past few years has been successfully passing on her expert knowledge as a qualified early years tutor at City College.