About the course
The first year of this course is a great introduction to early years and health and social care. In the second year you will specialise in early years with a combination of practical and theory based topics to give you a range of skills required for working in the industry.
It will prepare you to work with children between birth and five years, with knowledge of children up to seven years. A weekly work placement is compulsory for this course.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades which will be discussed at your interview.
What you will learn
- Services and roles in health, social care and early years sectors
- Health and safety
- Communication skills
- Healthy eating
- The values of working with children and vulnerable groups
- Role of an Early Years Practitioner
- Play, development and learning for school
- Supporting children’s play and development
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Legislation, framework and professional practice
- Professional development
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*–D/9–3 (including English and maths, science is also preferred) OR
- Level 1 Diploma in Early Years or Health & Social Care (with level 1 functional skills)
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below, OR
- Entry level certificate
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|04/09/17||1 or 2 years||Main|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Level 3 Technical Diploma in Early Years
- Apprenticeship in Early Years
- Work in nurseries, reception classes at primary schools or pre-schools
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
- Visits to nurseries