About this course
This part-time course has been designed by City and Guilds to give you the opportunity to develop or update your technical skills in barbering and men’s hairdressing. It is ideal if you have achieved Level 2 Ladies Hairdressing and would like to learn how to cut men's hair to produce both classical and fashion looks. It is also suitable if you do not possess any cutting skills.
It is a practical course which is underpinned by a theoretical background in the form of assignment work. The necessary skills for this qualification will be learnt through a variety of situations, in our commercial salon Kudos and in theory lessons.
* Great news... if you're aged 19 or over and earning less than £15,736.50 a year (gross salary), you may not have to pay for this course. Apply online now!
What you will learn
- Health and safety within the Barbershop
- Provide hairdressing consultation services
- Create a variety of looks using a combination of barbering techniques
As your skills develop, you’ll gain the confidence to cut different hair types, creating graduated and one-length cuts, and perfecting skills in fading techniques.
You will learn through a mixture of practical activities, written assignments and observed study methods. You will need to submit a portfolio demonstrating practical evidence in the form of photos and essential knowledge via assignments and tests.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Assessments are on a continuous programme of study because this is a short course. To reinforce underpinning knowledge, students are encouraged to participate in student led activities within the class and complete assignments and case studies to produce a portfolio of evidence.
All methods are selected to meet the levels and ability of each individual student. You are required to research information for your assignments in your own time and practise your practical skills at home. You will be expected to provide models for your practical assessment.
- GCSEs grade A*-D/9-3 in English, maths and science (or equivalent)
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- A work experience placement within a barbering or hairdressing salon while you attend this course would be beneficial
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|09/01/19||17:30 - 21:00 (Wed & Thu)||12 weeks||Main campus||£275*|
- Level 3 Cutting Men’s Hair or Barbering
- Facial hair cutting award
- Working in a commercial salon
- Working on a cruise ship
- Mobile hairdresser
You will need barbering equipment and a barbering training head for this course. You will also be required to wear suitable salon wear which consists of black tunic top or, for male students, a black shirt, black salon trousers and black salon shoes. You may also purchase text books S/NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing with Barbering.
You will also be required to find models for your practical assessments, who will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables.