About this course
This hands on practical course will give you the opportunity to explore, develop and test your creative skills. You will spend much of your time in the Art and Design studios working on practical projects but will also study the work of other artists and designers and how their work relates to your own projects.
The course provides you with a broad range of studies covering skills such as Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, 3D work, Graphics, Textiles and Fashion.
You will enhance your research skills through trips to galleries, museums and specialist workshops. In the summer term, you will showcase your work to the public and local employers in our professional art exhibition.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Materials, processes and technical skills in creative and visual arts
- Contextual research
- Drawing skills
- Solving 2D creative visual problems, using drawing, illustration, graphics, textiles and printmaking
- Solving 3D design and craft problems using a range of resistant material
- Solving time-based creative problems within photography and moving imagery
- Communication skills in creative and visual arts
- Developing and producing a personal project
- Well equipped art studios
- Large and fully equipped photography studio
- Photography dark room
- Suite of Apple Macs
- Gallery exhibition space
- 4 GCSEs grades 9-3/A*-D (including English) AND
- Portfolio of artwork (minimum of 10 A3 pieces including drawing and painting)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course. This will include a short written art assessment.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
The Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design prepares you to go on to a more advanced course such as the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative & Visual Arts or Photography & Digital Imaging
With further training or study, you can consider a range of careers in:
- Graphic Design
- Three Dimensional Design
- Interior Design
Specialist materials are provided, however students are expected to have workbooks, materials and equipment for drawing, painting, cutting and gluing. A recommended starter kit list will be given to students on enrolment.
Trips, visits & activities
- Visiting artists
- Gallery trips
- Work experience
- End of year art exhibition