About the course
If you wish to work as a director, screen writer, documentary film maker, camera operator or any of the vast range of roles within the industry this course is for you. The course includes working to a live brief, the opportunity for work experience and talks from industry experts. The second year of study will further develop your skills and knowledge including more complex projects.
It is equivalent to three A-Levels and is a recognised route to degree level study.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#168 UCAS points based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Structure and jobs within the TV, film and radio industry
- Digital media skills
- Production planning and commissions
- Online media campaigns
- Film fiction production
- Factual film production
- Technical skills for camera, sound and editing
- Digital media skills
- Film editing using Final Cut Pro and Abode Premier
- Advertising production
- Multi-camera and studio techniques
- Single camera techniques (including music video)
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
- Full HD television studio with industry standard equipment
- Radio studio and audio recording room
- Apple Mac suite with modern editing software
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 (including English and maths) OR
- Level 2 qualification in a relevant subject area (including GCSE English and maths grade A*-C/9-4)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Degree at university
- Work in TV and Film Production such as camera assistant, runner, researcher, assistant editor
Trips, visits & activities
- Sky Careers Academy
- Local radio stations
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
- Industry competitions
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.
At City College
Level 3 Extended Diploma Creative Media Production (TV & Film)
BA (Hons) in Practical Film Making at Met Film School, London
Peter MoutrayMedia Tutor
Peter has extensive experience working in the production of corporate and promotional films for Government departments and professional organisations. He has run media awareness training programmes, produced a film for the British Council and delivered conferences at the National Film & TV Expo in Nigeria. Now our students are benefiting from Peter’s creative and technical knowledge and experience.