Childcare & Education (Early Years Educator)
Qualification: CACHE Technical Diploma
About this course
This course has been designed for those who want to work in early years childcare and education. It prepares you to work with children between birth and five years and gain knowledge of children aged 5 to 7 years. Throughout the course, you will complete a weekly work placement giving you excellent first-hand experience of working in the childcare industry.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#168 UCAS points based on A* grades
What you will learn
- Child development from conception to seven years
- Children’s health and well-being
- Providing safe environments for children
- Play and learning
- Children’s additional needs
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Work placement
- Supporting emerging children’s literacy and maths
- Preparing for school readiness
- International perspectives
- Reflective practice for professional development
- Professional partnerships in early years
- A professional practice portfolio
- Children’s health
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Technical Certificate qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
5 GCSEs grade 4/C or above (including English and maths)
Level 2 in Early Years or Health & Social Care AND Level 2 Functional Skills in English and maths
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|01/09/20||2 years||Main campus|
- Foundation Degree at City College
- Degree at university
- Apprenticeship in Early Years
- Work in nurseries, primary schools, pre-schools and home based childcare
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
- Visits to nurseries
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.
Corin CollantineEarly Years Tutor
Corin began her long career in early years as a qualified Nursery Nurse. She has worked in schools as a Learning Support Assistant and in retail as a baby equipment consultant and manager. Corin then trained as a primary school teacher and over the past few years has been successfully passing on her expert knowledge as a qualified early years tutor at City College.