About the course
This early years and childcare course has been designed for those who want to work in early years childcare and education. It prepares you to work with children between birth and five years and gain knowledge of children aged 5 to 7 years. A weekly work placement is compulsory for this course.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#Based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Child development from conception to seven years
- Children’s health and well-being
- Providing safe environments for children
- Play and learning
- Children’s additional needs
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Work placement
- Supporting children’s literacy and maths
- Preparing for school readiness
- International perspectives
- Reflective practice for professional development
- Professional partnerships in early years
- A professional practice portfolio
- Work placement
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Technical Certificate qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
85% Coursework/practical - exam 15%
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-4 (including English and maths) OR
- Level 2 in Early Years or Health & Social Care AND
- Level 2 Functional Sklls in English and maths
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Please note a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will also be required for this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Work in nurseries, primary schools and home based childcare
- Degree at university
Trips, visits & activities
- Trips to local theatres
- Industry shows and exhibitions
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.
Corin CollantineEarly Years Tutor
Corin began her long career in early years as a qualified Nursery Nurse. She has worked in schools as a Learning Support Assistant and in retail as a baby equipment consultant and manager. Corin then trained as a primary school teacher and over the past few years has been successfully passing on her expert knowledge as a qualified early years tutor at City College.