About the course
This one year course is for people who have gained the Introduction to Counselling qualification at level 2 and wish to continue their learning. It is a part time course that requires you to attend college once a week for 3 hours.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to use counselling skills in one-to-one relationships as part of another job e.g. teaching or in the voluntary sector.
What you will learn
You will practice counselling skills to an intermediate level, learn about theory, ethics and non-discriminatory practice as well as have fun, give presentations and explore personal development.
There are 4 Units:
- Counselling Skills
- Ethical and Non-discriminatory Practice
- Counselling Theory
- Personal Development
The teaching and learning on this course embraces a student-centred ethos. This means you will take part in small group exercises, whole group debates/discussions, work in groups to give a presentation and work in triads for listening practise.
Assessment is carried via observation and traditional marking of assignments. Attendance, punctuality and attitudes are also considered when your final grade is awarded. You will also receive verbal feedback throughout the course from the course tutor.
- You will need to be over 18 years of age
- You need to have a Level 2 Introduction to Counselling
- Working at GCSE level in written and spoken English
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course (you will need to provide a copy of your Level 2 certificate at the interview)
- You will need to provide two references before your interview (one from your Level 2 tutor and the other from a professional that has known you for at least two years) The reference form can be downloaded below
- You are required to write and submit approximately 300 words on some of your life experiences and why you would like to study Counselling Skills within 2 weeks of your application. Please send this to Mike.Sims@Southampton-City.ac.uk stating your name and date of birth
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|14/09/17||COURSE FULL||27 weeks||Main||£495|
|24/01/18||COURSE FULL||27 weeks||Main||£495|
|26/01/18||COURSE FULL||27 weeks||Main||£495|
|20/04/18||13.00 - 16.00 (Friday)||27 weeks||Main||£495|
You will need a pen, a supply of paper, small A4 folder and a dictaphone.