About the course
This career-led carpentry and joinery course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to progress on to becoming a skilled carpenter in the construction industry. You will learn, develop and practise your carpentry and joinery skills to enable you to enter employment.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Produce woodworking joints
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Carry out first fix flooring and roofing
- Carry out first fix frames, partitions and stairs
- Carry out second fixing operations
- Carry out carpentry maintenance
- Set up and operate a circular saw
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
Our carpentry and joinery workshops provide a fantastic learning environment for you to learn in. They are equipped with industry standard equipment so you can learn the practical skills required for employment.
90% Coursework/practical - 10% Exam
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*–D/9–3 (including English and maths) AND
- A relevant level 1 qualification
- Practical qualifications may also be considered as an alternative entry depending on grade achieved
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below (including English and maths) OR
- Level 1 in English and maths
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Site Carpentry or Bench Joinery
- Entry level employment with construction companies (private and public sector)
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities