Qualification: City & Guilds
This course is currently unavailable. Please register your interest below and we will let you know when it next becomes available.
About the course
This is a short part-time beauty course will provide you with the opportunity to learn and develop industry skills in the art of Swedish massage.
The course also covers Anatomy & Physiology to develop and provide an in-depth understanding of the human body, as part of your programme you will be required to complete essential homework for tasks. You will also learn health, safety and hygiene procedures.
Please note that this course is not eligible for government funding, and all students will be required to pay the course fee.
What you will learn
- Provide full body massage
- The use of mechanical massage and infra red lamps
- Health and safety in the salon
This is a practical course which includes theory and assessed practical skills.
You will need to submit portfolio demonstrating practical evidence and essential knowledge via assignments and tests.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Assessments are continually completed throughout the course. You will be encouraged to participate in student led activities within the class, complete written tasks and produce a portfolio of evidence. All methods are selected to meet the levels and ability of each individual student.
You are required to research some information for your theory in your own time.
You will be expected to provide models for your practical assessments.
- A good standard of English is required
- You will have to have a good standard of physical health as beauty is often very physically demanding
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- This course is designed for over 19’s
- If you are a learner from the EU or have been an ESOL student will require a good standard of spoken English (Level 2) so that you can hold a conversation with our wide client base
You may continue to develop your skills and complete any of the other beauty awards that we offer. An ideal choice would be the Award in Stone Therapy or Indian head massage
This will enable you to create your own massage business, work in a salon or a spa.
The beauty industry is a professional career; therefore we have certain rules and regulations within the Beauty salons that you must adhere to. You will not be accepted in the beauty salon without the following:
- Full beauty kit
- A clean and well pressed uniform
- Clean shoes
- Day make‑up
- Clean tidy hairstyle ‑ hair should be tied back
- No jewellery except a wedding band
- Short nails which are unvarnished
- Short nail extensions - no overlays
- Facial piercings are to be removed