About the course
Body electrical treatments help with circulation, lymphatic drainage, skin condition, muscular tone, ageing, hydration and moisture levels.
This 13 week part-time beauty course will provide you with the opportunity to learn and develop industry skills in the art of Electrotherapy on the body.
Please note that this course is not eligible for government funding, and all students will be required to pay the course fee.
What you will learn
During this course you will learn about the particular skills involved in different body electrotherapy techniques to include:
- Galvanic (cleansing or desincrustation and nourishing the skin condition, through an electro-chemical process)
- Lymphatic drainage (a form of massage that helps stimulate the lymphatic system and encourages the flow of lymph fluid)
- Faradic (tones the muscles by repeatedly contracting them with the electric current, resulting in their firming and toning)
- Micro-current (using low level electrical current to trigger the body’s natural skin enhancement chemicals at a cellular level)
Alongside the practical work, you will also cover Anatomy and Physiology to develop and provide an in-depth understanding of the human body. You will also cover health, safety and hygiene procedures.
Lessons will be taught in the colleges very own modern, professional, commercial salons where you will have the opportunity to practice the skills you have learnt on paying customers. The salons are a real asset to the college and the experience you will have whilst working in them, will prepare you for any work you will have in a salon in the future. Having this facility also allows you develop customer service and customer relations skills as well as all the practical ability to carry out the treatments.
All teaching methods are selected to meet the levels and abilities of the individuals within the class and lecturers will do their best to meet the needs of every member of their class as individuals.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
As well as taking part in practical and theory lessons, you are required to complete essential homework tasks via CityBit, our virtual learning environment.
Assessments are carried out throughout the year and are a part of your study. As well as taking part in practical lessons in the salons, you are required to participate in student led activities within the class, complete work packs and case studies to create a portfolio of evidence. Carrying out these tasks will give you theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills.
You are required to research information for your assignments in your own time, alongside practicing practical skills at home. You will be expected to provide models for your practical assessments; your models will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables.
- All applications require a good standard of education in English, Maths and Science with GCSEs A*-D or the equivalent, and candidates who have successfully completed Level 1 Beauty course with a satisfactory reference and skills assessment
- As well as the above, you will also need to have a Level 2 Beauty qualification or an equivalent qualification in Beauty or Sport Science
- You will have to have a good standard of physical health as beauty is often very physically demanding
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- This course is designed for over 19’s
- If you are a learner from the EU or have been an ESOL student will require a good standard of spoken English (Level 2) so that you can hold a conversation with our wide client base
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|30/01/18||17.00 - 21.00 (Tuesday)||13 weeks||Main||£604|
Using the skills gained in this Award, you can set-up and run your own business or continue to develop your skills and complete any of the other beauty awards that we offer. You may also progress onto working within the Beauty industry.
The beauty industry is a professional career; therefore we have certain rules and regulations within the Beauty salons that you must adhere to. You will not be accepted in the beauty salon without the following:
- Full beauty kit
- A clean and well pressed uniform – La Beeby black tunic and trousers
- Clean shoes from La Beeby
- Day make up
- Clean tidy hairstyle - hair should be tied back
- No jewellery except a wedding band
- Short nails which are unvarnished
- No nail extensions
- Facial piercings are to be removed
You will be required to wear a beauty uniform, and have a kit, you will be provided with order forms for these items. It is compulsory that you will have this kit before you start the course. We also recommend that you have a subject text book; the purchasing of this can be discussed at your interview.