About the course
The first year of this beauty therapy course will give you a great introduction to the beauty and hair sectors. In the second year of study you will specialise in beauty therapy, learning a combination of practical and theory based topics to give you a range of skills required for working in the beauty industry.
You will learn and apply your skills in our beauty salon, Kudos, where you will work with real paying customers.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades which will be discussed at your interview.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Create a hair and beauty image using colour
- The hair and beauty sector
- Health and safety
- Customer service skills
- Promote hair and beauty products
- Design a retail display area in the salon
- Face painting and nail art
- Hand, nail, foot and toenail care
- Make-up application
- Create an image based on a theme
- Working in the beauty industry
- Health and safety
- Client and customer skills
- Create and maintain a retail display area
- Prepare for job interviews
- Promote and sell products and services
- Nail art
- Eyebrow shaping
- Photographic make-up
- Manicure and pedicure
- Facial treatments
- Waxing services
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Foundation Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade A*-D/9-3 (including English and maths, science is also preferred) OR
- Level 1 Diploma in Hair or Beauty (including Level 1 functional skills)
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade D/3 or below OR
- Entry Level Certificate
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|03/09/18||1 or 2 years||Main|
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing or Theatrical Hair and Media Make-Up
- Apprenticeship Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing or Barbering
- Work in salons, theatres, fashion houses or on cruise ships
Trips, visits & activities
- Visits to trade shows
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
- Industry week activities