About this course
The first year of this course is a great introduction to the hair and beauty sector. In the second year, you will specialise in beauty therapy with a combination of practical and theory based topics to give you a range of skills required for working in the industry.
You will learn and apply your skills in our beauty salon, Kudos, where you will work with real paying customers.
The course can be completed over 1 or 2 years depending on your grades which will be discussed at your interview.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Introduction to the hair and beauty sector
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
- Create an image using colour for hair and beauty
- Skin and hand care
- Basic make-up application
- Themed face painting
- Nail art application
- Providing basic manicure and pedicure treatments
- Create a hair and beauty image
- Health and safety in the salon
- Salon reception duties
- Anatomy and physiology
- Principles of practice for beauty therapists
- Hair removal treatments
- Facial and skin analysis
- Manicure treatments
- Pedicure treatments
- Light cured gel polish
- Lash and brow treatments
- Apply make-up services
- Spray tanning treatments
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 1 Foundation Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year, you will need to pass the first year of study.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Direct Entry to year 2
- 4 GCSEs grade 4/C or above (including English and maths, science is also preferred)
- Level 1 Diploma in Hair or Beauty (including Level 1 functional skills)
Entry to year 1
- GCSEs grade 3/D or above
- Entry Level Certificate
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|01/09/20||1 or 2 years||Main campus|
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing or Theatrical Hair and Media Make-Up
- Apprenticeship in Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing or Barbering
- Work in salons, theatres, fashion houses or on cruise ships
Trips, visits & activities
- Visits to trade shows
- Guest speakers
- Salon, spas and cruise ship visits
- Work experience
- Industry week activities
We strive to source the best value kits for all our beauty courses. The kit itself contains everything you will need to embark on a career in beauty (approx. £55 in Year 1 and £240 in Year 2).
Consumables of £30 will have to be paid at first session of the course.
Due to health and safety regulations you will also be required to purchase and wear in all practical sessions a full uniform which consists of the following: tunic, trousers and closed toed shoes. Please note that these are purchased through the college suppliers to ensure a high standard of presentation in our Kudos Hair and Beauty Salons.
Jo PengellyBeauty Tutor
Jo worked for renowned beauty company Estée Lauder for 15 years, where she specialised in recruiting, training and educating consultants. With her adept knowledge of the industry and continual professional development, Jo provides our students with the skillset needed by employers.