About the course
This one year course is designed to teach the basics of a host of beauty therapy treatments ranging from manicure to waxing. The course is divided into two 4-hour evening sessions on a Tuesday and Thursday, in order to learn all treatments and skills you are required to attend both classes each week.
* If you're unemployed or on a low wage and in receipt of benefits, then you might be eligible for full funding on this course. Please contact us for details on 023 8048 4848.
What you will learn
There are number of units that you will need to complete over the course of the year, some of these are compulsory Core Units; some are Mandatory Units which you need to complete to fulfil the requirements for a full Level 2 qualification and some are Chosen Options which have been chosen by the tutors to give you a wider range of skills and services within the beauty industry.
- Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Promote additional services or products to clients
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Provide facial skin care treatment
- Enhance the appearance of eyebrows and lashes
- Carry out waxing services
- Provide manicure services
- Provide pedicure services
Course chosen options:
- Fulfil salon reception duties
- Provide make-up services
Lessons will be taught in the colleges very own modern, professional, commercial salons where you will have the opportunity to practice the skills you have learnt on paying customers. The salons are a real asset to the college and the experience you will have whilst working in them, will prepare you for any work you will have in a salon in the future. Having this facility also allows you develop customer service and customer relations skills as well as all the practical ability to carry out the treatments.
All teaching methods are selected to meet the levels and abilities of the individuals within the class and lecturers will do their best to meet the needs of every member of their class as individuals.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Assessments are carried out throughout the year and are a part of your study. As well as taking part in practical lessons in the salons, you are required to participate in student led activities within the class, complete work packs and case studies to create a portfolio of evidence. Carrying out these tasks will give you theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills.
As well as taking part in practical and theory lessons, you are required to revise for your online exams in your own time as well as practicing practical skills at home. Recommended time for this home study is approximately 10 hours per week.
Alongside practicing practical skills at home, you will be expected to provide models for your practical assessments; your models will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables.
- All applications require a good standard of education in English, Maths and Science with GCSE’s A-D or the equivalent, and candidates who have successfully completed Level 1 Beauty course with a satisfactory reference and skills assessment
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- This course is designed for over 19’s
- If you are a learner from the EU or have been an ESOL student will require a good standard of spoken English (Level 1 or above) so that you can hold a conversation with our wide client base
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|19/09/17||17.00 - 21.00||1 year (Tues & Thurs)||Main||£1,230*|
You may progress onto working in beauty salons, cruise ships or health clubs. Alternatively you can continue your training by gaining entry onto the Level 3 Massage, Level 3 General Beauty Therapy, Level 3 Nail (technician) services. The skills gained in this qualification will support either of these pathways.
The beauty industry is a professional career; therefore we have certain rules and regulations within the Beauty salons that you must adhere to. You will not be accepted in the beauty salon without the following:
Full beauty kit
- A clean and well pressed uniform
- Clean shoes from Inline
- Day make-up
- Clean tidy hairstyle - hair should be tied back and secured
- No jewellery except a wedding band
Studied Beauty Therapy at City College.
Now a Beauty Therapist at the Grand Harbour Health Club and Spa.
19-year-old Laura Griffiths had no trouble finding her first job as a beauty therapist at the Grand Harbour Hotel after completing level two and three NVQ Diplomas in Beauty Therapy at City College Southampton.
After one year at the Grand Harbour Health Club and Spa, Laura has progressed to become a trainee team leader and has been on intensive training for ESPA luxury spa products. She is also a qualified pregnancy massage therapist.
Laura, from Lordshill, said: "The experience I gained from training in a working salon at City College was invaluable. It taught me exactly what to expect from the world of work and the proper way to interact with real paying clients."
Often delivering more than 15 treatments a day to clients from the hotel, tourists who visit before and after their cruise holidays and day visitors to the spa, Laura says her days are busy but she enjoys interacting with the varied clientele. As a trainee team leader, Laura is an essential level of support for more junior staff just starting out in their careers.
Laura made the most of her time at City College by taking additional courses in spray tanning and ear piercing to make sure her education was as well rounded as possible. She said: "So many people recommended I go to City College. I really enjoyed the level three diploma as I was interested in the anatomy and physiology modules. It's definitely something that I want to continue to improve my skills in to help for the future."