About the course
This course will give you the opportunities to develop or update your barbering skills.
* If you're unemployed or on a low wage and in receipt of benefits, then you might be eligible for full funding on this course. Please contact us for details on 023 8048 4848.
What you will learn
The course will cover units such as ensuring your own actions reduce risks to health and safety, give clients a positive impression of yourself and your organisation, advise and consult with clients, cut hair using basic techniques, shampoo and condition hair and scalp, style dress and finish hair using basic techniques, fulfil salon reception duties and provide scalp massage services.
The necessary skills for this qualification will be learnt through a variety of situations, in a commercial salon and in theory lessons.
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
Within the course structure there are four areas of assessments, practical observation, oral questioning, assignments/case studies, and two written test papers. You will need to pass all four areas of assessment. Completion of all assessments will be retained in a portfolio and used as evidence to show the external examiner.
- NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing or equivalent
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- A work experience placement within a barbering or hairdressing salon while you attend this course would be beneficial
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
|18/09/18||11:30 - 18:30 (Tuesday)||1 year||Main campus||£1,487*|
- Level 3 Barbering
- Level 3 Hairdressing (via a trade test)
- Working in a commercial salon
- Working on a cruise ship
- Mobile hairdresser
You will need to purchase a barbering kit costing approximately £48.00 which includes a gents’ barbering head block, clippers with attachments and a barbering comb. You will be required to wear a uniform during all practical classes. This consists of a black tunic (cost approx. £19.50), black trousers and black shoes or plain black trainers. You will be expected to find models for your practical assessments who will be expected to contribute to the cost of consumables. You will also be required to purchase text books. Men's hairdressing traditional and modern barbering, second edition (By Maurice Lister SBN 1-86152-916-3) is required for this course.