About this course
This barbering course will give you the skills to be confident in cutting men's hair and facial hair. The course is a combination of practical work skills in our commercial hair and barbering salon as well as classroom based theory lessons.
Alongside theory classes you will learn practical skills in our commercial hair salon, Kudos, where you will work with real paying customers.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 9-4/A*-C in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
What you will learn
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Cut men’s hair
- Cut facial hair to shape
- Dry and finish men’s hair
- Create basic outlines and detailing in the hair
- Fulfill salon reception duties
- Assist with shaving services
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair and beauty salon, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
- 4 GCSEs grades 9-3/A*-D (including English, maths and science is preferred) OR
- Level 2 Foundation Diploma in Hair and Beauty (including GCSE English and maths grade 9-3/A*-D)
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- Level 3 Diploma in Barbering
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Barbering or Hairdressing
- Work in salons, theatres, fashion houses or on cruise ships
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Entry to industry competitions
- Industry week activities
- Work experience
Julie BurrowsHairdressing Tutor
Julie has extensive knowledge of the hair industry due to working for global hairdressing company Toni & Guy in London for more than a decade. During her time there Julie took charge of training junior staff – it is this unique experience that enables her to provide innovative lessons.