Qualification: City & Guilds NVQ Diploma
About the course
Barbering has become a popular career choice for those who wish to enter the hairdressing industry with a specialised qualification.
This course will give you the skills to be able to be confident in cutting gents hair and facial hair including shaping and trimming along with clipper cutting skills and more edgy modern gent’s hairdressing techniques. It is a practical based qualification which includes theory to underpin knowledge and complete all relevant on-line exams.
Your tutors are professional with qualifications and experience within the hairdressing industry. They will help you to practice your new skills on each other, training heads and with clients in our newly built Kudos Hair salons which are open to the general public as well as staff and students.
If you are aged 19 or over and are starting a further education course at level 3 or above, you may qualify for a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan. This course is eligible for a 19+ Loan – for more information on how to apply click here.
What you will learn
This qualification is made up of individual units which cover different areas of your work as a hairdresser or barber.
There are 5 mandatory units:
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- Promote additional services or products to clients
- Provide hairdressing consultation services
- Design and create a range of facial hair shapes
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of barbering techniques
You are also required to take a number of optional units, depending on credit size. Only one optional unit can be selected from optional group 2.
Optional group 1:
- Provide shaving services
- Provide face massage services
- Design and create patterns in hair
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques
- Provide colour correction services
- Develop and enhance your creative hairdressing skills
- Create a variety of permed effects
Optional group 2:
- Contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business
- Support client service improvements
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of promotional activities
The necessary skills for this qualification will be learnt through a variety of situations these will include working in our commercial salon Kudos.
Theory lessons are taught through a variety of methods from classroom, independent study, and online resources through our Visual Learning Environment (VLE).
Training at City College will give you a huge advantage as you will learn in our purpose built hair salons, Kudos. You will learn with industry standard equipment working under supervision with real, paying clients to give you a wealth of experience.
NVQs are assessed at work or in a realistic working environment. For each unit your assessor observes you carrying out different services and checks your understanding, this information will be recorded in your log book, which then provides formal evidence of your learning.
For a Barbering NVQ, you will practice your barbering skills, learn the knowledge required and organise your own study. You will record your achievements in a log book packed with hints and tips from industry experts.
- NVQ Level 2 in Barbering or equivalent
- Good standard of English - students with English as a second language are required to have ESOL Level 1
- A good standard of physical health is required as hairdressing is often physically demanding and is not suitable for some skin conditions
- A work experience placement within a barbering or hairdressing salon while you attend this course would be beneficial
- You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto the course
- Level 4 Barbering or Salon Management
- Level 4 HNC in Business and Management
- Salon management
We strive to source the best value kits for all our hairdressing and barbering courses. The kit itself contains everything you will need to embark on a career in barbering - due to the level of this qualification you may already have most of the required kit required for this course.
Due to health and safety regulations all students are required to purchase and wear in all practical sessions a full uniform which consists of the following: tunic, trousers and closed toed shoes. Please note that these are purchased through the college suppliers to ensure a high standard of presentation in our Kudos Hair and Beauty Salons.