About the course
If you aspire to be an architect, building surveyor, quantity surveyor, structural, mechanical, civil or electrical building services engineer, construction planner or construction manager this course is for you.
This architectural CAD and construction design course is designed to give you a nationally recognised qualification and offer you a choice of career routes into the construction and engineering industries or on to a degree at university.
Full-time students aged 16-18 will follow a study programme at City College which includes:
- The main subject qualification
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A*-C/9-4 in these subjects by age 16
- Additional activities, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
These four elements should combine to provide stretch and challenge to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Earn up to 168 UCAS points#
#168 UCAS points based on Distinction grades
What you will learn
- Health, safety and welfare
- Sustainable construction
- Science and materials
- Mathematics in construction
- Computer aided design (CAD)
- Construction technology and design
- Building technology
- Surveying in construction and civil engineering
- Construction in civil engineering
- Structural mechanics
- Building regulations
- Project management
- End of year project
If you successfully complete the first year of study you will gain a level 3 Diploma qualification. In order to progress to the second year you will need to pass the first year of study.
This is a theory and practical work-related course. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
- Heating and ventilation workshop
- Electrical workshop
- Welding workshop
- CAD suite
- Off-site surveying
- Extensive research facilities
75% Coursework/practical - 25% Exam
- 5 GCSEs grade A*-C/9-5 (including English, maths and science) or relevant equivalent qualifications, OR
- Level 2 Diploma in Construction or Plumbing & Heating (with GCSE English, maths and science grade A*-C/9-4)
- Those with substantial professional experience in the sector will also be considered
You will be required to attend an interview at the College prior to enrolling onto this course.
Dates, times & fees
|Start Date||Course Times||Duration||Campus||Fees|
- HNC in Building Services Engineering at City College
- Degree at university
- Employment with construction companies (private and public sector)
Trips, visits & activities
- Guest speakers
- Industry competitions
- Industry week activities
- Work experience
If you will be 19 before the start of the second year of this course, you will be liable to pay a fee for that year. Please contact us for more information.