Composites Technician - QinetiQ
Haslar Marine Technology Park, Gosport • Closing Date: 16/03/2018
Level 3 Advanced Composites Apprenticeship
Starting salary: £10,500 per year
Do you want to be one of the best? Do you want to be one of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise?
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
As a Level 3 Advanced Composites Apprentice you are the future of QinetiQ. This four year apprenticeship will entail you learning from the best in the business and enable you to develop your skills to reach your potential. As well as gaining an academic qualification, you will learn on the job within a friendly and encouraging workplace.
As a Composites Technician you will develop skills in the disciplines of design, mould tool making and preparation, part lay-up, curing, testing, inspection, repair and material science.
Job roles & responsibilities:
- Select appropriate techniques, procedures and methods to undertake part manufacture
- Identify and select materials (resins, matrix and core)
- Design and prepare mould tools
- Design and manufacture components
- Select appropriate consumables required to ensure satisfactory progress and completion of projects and/or manufacturing programmes, in conjunction with any relevant Health and Safety legislation
- Read and understand technical drawings for part manufacture
- Laminate geometrically complex parts
- Operate machinery associated with laminating and automated manufacture
- Carry out maintenance to machines or equipment to comply with preventative maintenance plans
- Assist and advise in the planning and preparation of manufacturing programmes and research projects to ensure they meet customer requirements and schedules
- Understand and follow work instructions
- Use metrology equipment applicable to the workplace
You must have a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent, or predicted, which must include Maths, English Language, Science and preferably ICT.
This role will require you to be able to obtain full security clearance. To gain clearance you will normally have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of nationality.
You must declare any special requirements needed to undertake tests for the interview stages.
- Be able to work in a team with effective interpersonal skills
- Be able to communicate clearly
- Commit to and apply a professional code of conduct
- Show respect for colleagues and the work environment
- Have a “right first time” approach
- Manage and apply safe systems of work, ethically and responsibly
- Have a desire to develop a career in composites engineering and carry out CPD activities
- Competitive salary
- 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- 1 day paid a year to be used for volunteering activities
- Option to purchase additional benefits
- Access to our Wellbeing Service - a confidential life management and personal support service, which offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.